My name is Dave Bradley. I am a guitar player from central Scotland. I have been playing guitar for - oh, wow longer than I can accurately remember, but its gotta be at least 25 years. I play rock music mostly and this is my blog! Here you'll find stuff about guitars in general, my guitars, what I have been doing with my guitars, some audio of me playing and some video footage. Hopefully I'll also get some links to other pretty cool guitarists set up too.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

symphonic Solo!

Well folks,
Here is the next exciting installment! Thought I'd do a video tutorial of the Megadeth, Symphony of Destruction solo, as I have the audio file up in my wee widget on the right hand side of the page. It isn't an easy solo, but then Marty Friedman is absolutely one of the best modern rock guitarists on the go. I can't claim to be a big Megadeth fan, but I love the way Marty Friedman plays guitar. I love the way he uses vibrato, it just makes his playing sound so passionate. I also love the very odd note selection he uses, he uses diminished and augmented stuff all over the place, with the augmented stuff sounding really bizarre and not in tune with anything, then suddenly he just throws in the most beautiful little fast arpeggios which just add so much melody. The contrast in everything he plays, even from a melodic perspective, is stunning. And lets not even talk about the total spagetti fingers, complete technically difficult standard of almost everything he plays.

Anyway, here is the video. Let me know what you think, and whether it has helped you. Even if you never intend on playing the full song, playing this solo will get you tieing your fingers in knots for a while and to that end, its gotta be pretty good practise.

 There'll be a few more of these to follow, probably another Marty Friedman solo - Tornado of souls (stunning solo), Eddie Van Halen's solo in Jump and i dont know what else yet.




all the best,

Dave B

No comments:

Post a Comment