My name is Dave Bradley. I am a guitar player from central Scotland. I have been playing guitar for - oh, wow longer than I can accurately remember, but its gotta be at least 25 years. I play rock music mostly and this is my blog! Here you'll find stuff about guitars in general, my guitars, what I have been doing with my guitars, some audio of me playing and some video footage. Hopefully I'll also get some links to other pretty cool guitarists set up too.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Recording in the Frozen North

Ok, so i spend a lot of time up in Orkney, although I live in central Scotland. My Partner moved up there to study for a Doctorate a few years back and her kids are at school there. Orkney has a great music scene,. There are always live bands somewhere at the weekend. There is also an accoustic night at the royal hotel on the last/first Friday of the month, which is often frequented by some of my good friends - The Snarx, who can be found here:


There is also the brilliant Orkney Blues Festival at the end of every summer. More details here:


Also, I am trying to get an open forum Jam session organised on a regular basis. The idea being that this will be held in a local pub or hotel at the weekend during the day and open to all. Intended that all age groups and abilities should be able and encouraged to take part. I dont want to say too much about that here as that's a whole blog in its own right.
Anyway, the other day while i was up in Orkney i decided to try and do some recording with my new Boss GT-10 floor peddle and see how it sounded. I have also been wanting to try and record a version of Megadeth's classic, 'Symphony of Destruction' for a while, so thought I'd give it a try. It can be found in the audio player on the left hand side (Along with a few tracks i recorded years ago) - let me know what you think - all comments are welcome as long as they are polite. I Originally recorded it with vocals, but they were just too horrific to include in the final mix! Here is a picture of me during the recording!

Look at the total concentration! - That was at the tricky little arpeggio section in the guitar break (I think?).
I recorded these tracks using Cubase VST as the sequencer for the bass and drum parts and also to multitrack the audio. I played symphony for distruction on my red Ibanez RG570, this was played through a noise gate, into my marshall 9000 series pre-amp, into my graphic EQ, into my Boss GT-10 and then into the actual amp, which was driving a 2 x 12 cab. I used a Shure PG58 microphone for recording both the output from the guitar and the vocals. I prefer using a mic for recording the guitar as i think it sounds far better.

Further to this I also went round to see a great slide guitar player the other night for a bit of a jam and to try and come up with some ideas for doing something together, it was great and pretty productive so watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. Yay you started your blog! Ace dude x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ms Flowers! its not quite to the same standard as yours yet, but I'm finding my way, slowly but surely! thanks for popping by!

    ReplyDelete